Benadryl Challenge on Tiktok - A 15-year-old teenager from Oklahoma, United States (US) has reportedly died after consuming excessive amounts of the anti-allergy drug Benadryl. He did this as part of a challenge on the TikTok social media application "Benadryl Challenge".
The challenge involves TikTok users who dare to drink large amounts of medicine. This medication is usually taken by mouth to relieve allergy symptoms from conditions such as hay fever.
However, when consumed in excessive amounts, a drug also known as diphenhydramine can cause side effects. Including leading to death.
The teenager named Chloe Philips died after an overdose of drinking too much. Chloe reportedly died on August 21 in Oklahoma but her story went viral recently.
Quoting Forbes, a pharmacist at the University of Toronto, Canada, assessing the challenges that are being carried out is indeed dangerous. Benadryl in large doses can cause cardiac arrest.
"If young people are encouraged to take large doses in TikTok, it is very dangerous. It is not a drug that people should try," said David Juurlink, Head of the Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology at the University of Toronto, Canada.
Juurlink says that people who overdose on the drug can experience a variety of symptoms such as confusion, agitation, blurred vision, dry eyes and mouth, constipation and the inability to sweat and urinate. There are also those who fall into a coma and even die after a seizure.
"At very high doses it affects the heart, people could theoretically die of seizures, but they usually die of heart problems," said Juurlink.
Meanwhile, TikTok made a strong statement. In the TikTok community guidelines, the company states that they do not allow content that encourages, promotes or glorifies dangerous challenges, and could lead to injury.
"We first became aware of this 'challenge' in May and quickly removed very little content that we found," the company said.
"We've been keeping an eye on this topic since then and removing all new content - again a very small amount to prevent any spread on our platform."